ICC Cricket World Cup

Click Above

Google

Monday, October 30, 2006

FINALLY, WHO WON GOOGLE WORDMASTERS CONTEST?

Google organized Wordmasters Challenge in several cities in India recently (30th September,2006). Word is that close to 3000 people participated in this event.
(See Harshad's report on the event here) The winners are supposed to be declared today.Wonder who won it and what did the winning entries look like. Does anyone have a clue on this?

Updated:Nov 9 , 2006:I just decided to send a self-addressed-stamped envelope to Google. If and when I get a response, I will update this post.

Updated:Nov 16 , 2006: One week and no response received. Yes, a self-addressed stamped envelope with a covering note was indeed sent to Google's Bangalore office on the address specified in the event leaflet. Snailmailed on 9th Nov. So much for the mission to organise the world's information and make it accessible to everyone :)

Updated: Nov 29, 2006: I did send a second letter to Google, this time by courier, assuming the previous postal mail failed to reach them. The contents of my letter to Google are reproduced below.

--------------------------------Letter Begins Here------------------------------

Google India Pvt. Ltd.,
Prestige Sigma, No.3,
Vittal Mallya Road,
Bangalore 560001

Sub: Google Wordmasters Challenge results

Date: 22 Nov 2006

Dear Sir/Madam

I participated in the Google Wordmasters Challenge contest held on 30th September 2006(I am based in Chennai but I had participated in Bangalore). I would appreciate if you could please send me the results (essentially list of winners and the prizes they received). Incidentally, I made a similar request vide my letter dated 9th November but unfortunately do not seem to have received a response.

I am enclosing a self-addressed stamped envelope for the same as indicated in the event rules pamphlet. However, I would indeed appreciate if you can send the results by courier or email (MY ID@gmail.com) if that is not too inconvenient.

Best Regards

RAJESH KUMAR

ENCL:

1. Self addressed stamped envelope
2. A Gmail invite(it’s a good service, give it a try, it’s free)

Rajesh Kumar has invited you to open a free Gmail account. To accept this invitation and register for your account, visit http://mail.google.com/mail/a-43c7aa1d21-1b7ff83ee6-90398ff24a

For more information on this service, visit http://www.gmail.com
----------------------------------ENDS HERE-----------------------------------------

While I am not too optimistic on a reply, let's keep our fingers crossed!

Labels:

Comments on "FINALLY, WHO WON GOOGLE WORDMASTERS CONTEST?"

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM, October 31, 2006) :

Don't hold your breath. It's not you.

Blogger Rajesh Kumar said ... (12:58 PM, October 31, 2006) :

Dear Anonymous,

I certainly know that. That is why I posted this.And I reckon it is not you either.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM, October 31, 2006) :

I saw a post in some other blog where the 'winner' claims that he has won a Maruti Swift. Now, I don't know of anyone who can vouch for the authenticity of this info...

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM, October 31, 2006) :

Would like to see the results! Who all won and what all were the write-ups!

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM, October 31, 2006) :

I wonder why they take such a long time to publish the results of Google Worsmasters Challenge. They announced that the results will be published in newspapers on october 30. But no clue about it so far.
Really frustrating.
twinsamma

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM, October 31, 2006) :

This is the same anon who reported on the Maruti Swift jazz. There's another story in another blog - yup, I've been combing blogs trying to figure out what the f*** is going on. According to this version, the winners are on for 'cash prizes, a distance learning course from some top foreign university and a tour to Hyderabad Google office'. This is getting murkier...

Blogger Harshad Joshi said ... (6:18 PM, October 31, 2006) :

Did I mention that Google Wordmasters 2006 was a nothing but a hype and a useless concept designed by Google to exploit our 'Indian Mentality?'

How fast we get influenced by foreign brands and technology. Google just wants to exploit the 'Indian' mentality. After all, we are a biig 'market'.

Agneya.

Blogger Harshad Joshi said ... (6:21 PM, October 31, 2006) :

Apparently, no one other then Google won. In this market driven economy, Google wants to consolidate its position ahead of Yahoo!

Read more of this on the forth coming post of http://harshad.wordpress.com/

- Harshad Joshi.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM, October 31, 2006) :

I don't believe this - they just can't run a contest and not announce the results!!! So, who's going to get inside Fort Knox, pinch all that gold and get back? Does anyone have friends/family/ contacts in Google?

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM, November 01, 2006) :

You can try using this bit of info from Google Wordmasters terms and conditions:

Winners List: The name of the winners may be obtained by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Google India Pvt. Ltd., Prestige Sigma, No.3, Vittal Mallya Road, Bangalore 560001

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM, November 03, 2006) :

Hi Rajesh

Perhaps you would like to look at this:

This apparently was NO wordmaster challenge but an exercise in building a parallel corpus. Hmmm…3000 blokes taken for a ride by the big G? Very evil.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM, November 08, 2006) :

Respeatinh what I mentioned on another blog: The winner/s are still on Diwali Vacation & therefore cannot be contacted :)

Blogger Rajesh Kumar said ... (4:30 PM, November 08, 2006) :

@ Sreejith & twinsmma: Yes, it is natural to be curious, atleast in my view.
@ Harshad and Cram: Thanks for sharing those links
****************************
I think the traditional view is that a contest/challenge should lead to a podium event. I guess Google's views are a little different. Period.
*****************************

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM, November 08, 2006) :

Yesterday I contacted the agency that conducted the test on behalf of Google India, and a media manager said he'd check with Google and get back to me in a day. A day is almost over, but there's no news. I think all of us are getting worked up over nothing. Let's accept the fact that Google forgot all about the contest, and get on with life. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM, November 09, 2006) :

The results for those who have been waiting with bated breath...

Blogger Rajesh Kumar said ... (6:36 PM, November 09, 2006) :

@Anon, thanks for sharing the link with the readers.
-Rajesh

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM, November 14, 2006) :

Hi friends,

WMC06 results seems to be
published..But are you the first one
to know abt it?

Book your result here:)

Blogger Rajesh Kumar said ... (9:18 PM, November 14, 2006) :

@ All, I think there is no point in getting frustrated so much. A word from Google(authentic one!) would perhaps all such speculation to rest.However, irrespective of our opinion on the conduct of this event, perhaps no one would dispute Google is one of world's greatest companies in modern times.Let's get on with life....

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM, November 17, 2006) :

Do make an update if and when Google India gets back to you with a list of winners. If there's no response at the end of two weeks, approach the press - I'm sure they would like to write a small story on the incident.

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM, December 06, 2006) :

very good blog. maintain it.
ss